We are lucky in that they have become our fo' reals friends and introduced us to lots of wonderful things, not the least of which are their kitties, Boris & Mo:
A few weeks ago they invited us over for dinner, some old school Mario Kart playing and they wanted to show us a video they had made about their trip to California (where they own and keep an air-stream to work out of from time to time).
They have a projector and took great care to set everything up 'just so' and I remember as they were doing this I was thinking, "Wow, they are super psyched about their air-stream video...it must be badass". Which totally would not have surprised me because everything I have seen them make is beautiful (and badass).
It seems though, that no matter how many "TWISTS!" they pull on us (this was not the first surprise they had laid out on us), we will never see it coming.
Instead of a video about their air-stream and trip to California, this is what we saw:
When I think about Mary & Joel and what they do and how we know them, there are several things that just blow me away about how lucky we were and are:
1) I had a very specific vision of what I wanted our wedding photos to be like. Mary & Joel fit that vision exactly.
2) Not only do they live in the same little city that we do (Portland, OR), they LITERALLY live about 7 minutes away from where we live.
3) In our first meeting together Ben & Joel bonded over games and as it got progressively nerdier, I knew it was going to work out.
4) They don't normally shoot video (or at all?) but are always trying new things and I'm sort of in disbelief that we got to be the lucky ones that they started out on in that respect.
5) They were the last people beside me and Ben to leave the wedding site and they even hauled some of our stuff in their car to our apartment.
6) They bought Ben a pie that same night of the wedding because he hadn't gotten to eat any of the wedding pie.
7) They can make the most delicious hummus and vegan tzatziki sauce that tastes just like the real deal.
I could go on and on. As freelancers they are more on top of their game than we are and they are always passing on helpful tips and information on how they make it work.
All this to say that I just feel lucky and blessed and grateful for their existence in this world and that we have crossed paths at all.